What I'm Currently Reading...

Interview With the Vampire (Vampire Chronicles, #1)Interview With the Vampire by Anne Rice
I started reading these books when I was a kid but never really got into them. Time to give them another shot!



Death du Jour (Temperance Brennan, #2)Death du Jour by Kathy Reichs

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan

So I've been a bit lax on my reviewing this past month or so. Between working and moving, I haven't had any real time to myself. The only time I seem to get is when I can sneak away and jump into the pool to cool down and unwind after getting home from work before beginning the next round of work (or unpacking) at home. There seem to be so many things to do and so little time to do them in...

So without further ado, here is a review for your enjoyment!

The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4)
The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Not to be simplistic with my review but this is a great book! I really enjoyed it. Of course, I'm sure that all my readers will notice that I only gave it 4 stars. There is a reason for this. The author disappointed me a bit with his thievery from one of my favorite movies of all time, Labyrinth...

I'm sure that the movie took the 2-headed door guards from the actual myth but the lines that they use in the movie were taken almost word for word and transplanted into the book. As an author myself, I can't see how this is justified and it really irks me no end...

Now that my little rant has come to a close, I can definitely say this was a book worth spending time on. I loved studying ancient Greek mythology when I was a kid and I still have to do bits of research now and again to make sure that I don't get something wrong in my own work (some of my characters have a basis in old myths). Making my way through this series, I find that there are so many monsters and stories that I have never heard before and I love it! I knew that I didn't know everything and this helps to get the point across. I learned so many new things from the author and the research that he did and I appreciate the book and series more fore it.

Riordan is a great author and he knows how to appeal to his audience and to teach his readers. Mythology doesn't seem to be a subject widely taught in regular schools anymore and it really should be. Riordan has found a way to draw interest into the subject again without giving the feel of teaching but more of an exciting new approach to learning.

I would have given this book 5 stars if not for the issue mentioned previously. I was still able to work my way past that and truly enjoy the book and I know many that would enjoy it as well.

Red Guard(bottom):Well the only way out of here is to try one of these doors.
Blue Guard(bottom):One of them leads to the castle at the center of the labyrinth. And the other one leads to...
Blue Guard(top):Boom-Boom-Ba-Boom...
Blue Guard(bottom):certain death.
(all guards): ooooooo

No comments:

Post a Comment