What I'm Currently Reading...

Interview With the Vampire (Vampire Chronicles, #1)Interview With the Vampire by Anne Rice
I started reading these books when I was a kid but never really got into them. Time to give them another shot!



Death du Jour (Temperance Brennan, #2)Death du Jour by Kathy Reichs

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Cell by Stephen King (zombification at its best)

CellCell by Stephen King
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

As everyone knows (or at least those that have looked at the books I read), I'm a HUGE Stephen King fan. Due to that, I am always trying to find time to squeeze in one of his books, be it a new one or an old favorite that I've read a dozen times already. This was the first time I've read Cell and I was pleasantly surprised.

I never thought that King would go the zombie route, since everyone is doing it, but his take on zombification and how it might happen was refreshing. The way our society is so digitally dependant, it's no wonder where he got the idea for this novel.

As with all his books, he draws the reader in with his fantastic descriptions and unique take on the possible. He never drowns the reader with unnecessary details though through choice words, it is easy to visualize all that is going on throughout the story. I think my favorite line in this book has to be "a flesh canoe filled with blood".

The reason that I only gave this one four stars is because of the ending. The story just ends and the reader is left with no knowledge of what actually came to pass. Guessing is out of the question because there is no real indicators of what might happen. King leaves it completely open with only one of two options but no way to know how it really goes. It would be one thing, if it were to have a sequel, but that isn't the case.

One thing that I love? There is a brief sentence that ties this book in with all the rest, linking it to his Dark Tower series. He slyly sneaks it in to where, if you haven't read the series, you would have no clue. I, having read just about everything he has ever done, caught it and it made me smile.


© Courtney Conant, 2010-12. All Rights Reserved.
 The Mind Entangled The Blood Moon of Winter

No comments:

Post a Comment