What I'm Currently Reading...

Interview With the Vampire (Vampire Chronicles, #1)Interview With the Vampire by Anne Rice
I started reading these books when I was a kid but never really got into them. Time to give them another shot!



Death du Jour (Temperance Brennan, #2)Death du Jour by Kathy Reichs

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Carpet People by Terry Pratchett


My rating: 2 of 5 stars

It is sad to say, but this is the first Pratchett book that I didn't really enjoy. It was simple but a bit hard to follow. I still have no idea who or what was going on. There were a lot of different, random characters that showed up, yet they seemed to have no real purpose in the story other than as filler. They were there and then gone and I found I was losing track of the actual story.

Nothing was explained or even made much sense. It seemed as though none of the questions that the story posed were ever answered. The story concept was cute but it just seemed to be lacking (in my eyes anyway). What was it lacking, you might ask? Quite a lot. For the fact that he was only 17 when he wrote it, I did give a little. I'm just glad that this slowly lead to the creation of the Discworld series. Don't judge Pratchett's writing on this book alone. He is an amazing author and definitely worth checking out.

'The Lord of the Rings on a Rug'

The Carpet People was published in 1971, It had a lot of things wrong with it, mostly to do with being written by someone who was seventeen at the time.
And it sold a bit, and eventually it sold out. And that was it.
And then about seven years ago the Discworld books began to sell, and people would buy them and say, "Here, what's this book The Carpet People by The Same Author?' and the publishers got so fed up with telling people that there was no demand for it that they decided it was time for a new edition.
Which was read by Terry Pratchett, aged forty-three, who said: hang on. I wrote that in the days when I thought fantasy was all battles and kings. Now I'm inclined to think that the real concerns of fantasy ought to be about not having battles, and doing without kings. I'll just rewrite it here and there...
Well, you know how it is when you tweak a thread that's hanging loose...
So this is it. It's not exactly the book I wrote then. It's not exactly the book I'd write now. It's a joint effort but, heh heh, I don't have to give him half the royalties. He'd only waste them.
You asked for it. Here it is. Thanks.
Incidentally, the size of the city or Ware is approximately ->.

Terry Pratchett
15 September 1991

   

I'm with this girl here. We both are so happy that this his not where Pratchett ended is writing career! Now chant it with me!!


DISCWORLD
DISCWORLD
DISCWORLD

No comments:

Post a Comment