What I'm Currently Reading...

Interview With the Vampire (Vampire Chronicles, #1)Interview With the Vampire by Anne Rice
I started reading these books when I was a kid but never really got into them. Time to give them another shot!



Death du Jour (Temperance Brennan, #2)Death du Jour by Kathy Reichs

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This was a very entertaining start to what I hope is going to be a good series. Following Percy along on his dangerous quest, I found myself constantly curious as to what was going to happen next. What made this even better was the fact that the author thought out things in such a manner as to not provide hints of what was coming up. Riordan literally kept the reader in suspense.

Now I will say, the book is COMPLETELY different from the movie. For one, the movie portrays Percy to be a lot older than he actually is. The characters are different, as are the bad guys. Both were great though. It was actually kind of nice being able to watch the movie first and then read the book and find that neither ruined the other for me.

Usually, this is a major problem, when it comes to movies based on books. They always seem to be missing something or changing things that shouldn't have been changed. In this case, they did it to make the movie more interesting to a wider audience, as opposed to being mainly for kids. I can understand and appreciate it, but I did prefer the book.

I would recommend the book to anyone, child or adult, and I definitely look forward to starting up book two in the near future. So get the book and give it a shot. Young adult books are a fun and quick way to pass the time. And when you get done, go watch the movie and enjoy some popcorn...


No comments:

Post a Comment