What I'm Currently Reading...

Interview With the Vampire (Vampire Chronicles, #1)Interview With the Vampire by Anne Rice
I started reading these books when I was a kid but never really got into them. Time to give them another shot!



Death du Jour (Temperance Brennan, #2)Death du Jour by Kathy Reichs

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Going Postal by Terry Pratchett


My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Going Postal must be one of my favorite Terry Pratchett books. It was so creative and fun. To win a battle of wits without much in the way of wits is pretty impressive. It is quite true that once someone gets angry, they do lose a bit of self-control and don't think as clearly. Pratchett really pulled that aspect into play in this book. It was fun to follow the characters and their 'angel' through the rebuilding of the post office.

Stanley was one of my favorite characters in all the Pratchett books. He may have only had a small part but he made me laugh. I have known quite a few collectors in my time and Stanley sure fits the extreme definition (yet some people really are that into collecting things). A good lesson to be learned? Never mess with a hardcore collector when it comes to something that truly matters to them...

The only downfall of this book, in my opinion, is that the old letters never get delivered. They were the cause of all the problems in the first place, demanding to be delivered, and yet the letters gave up on being delivered without any mention of it whatsoever. They stopped delivering the old ones almost right away and only seemed to focus on the new ones that were coming in because that brought in revenue for the city.


And don't forget, they did a 2-part TV adeptation of this great book! I saw the previews for it when I was in London last year and was disappointed that I was leaving the country 2 days before it aired. I know I still need to watch it and so do you! Check it out now on Sky TV! 




No comments:

Post a Comment